Friday, February 4, 2011

In Hot Water

So the water heater broke Wednesday. Yes, I am going to write about my water heater. But don't worry, there's nothing boring about gallons of hot water pouring out the bottom of your water tank, so keep reading!

I discovered the lovely puddle in the morning, right before I was taking the kids the school. Not really what you want to discover at 8:30 in the morning. Kind of changed my whole plans for the day. Suddenly my priority became moving stuff out of the path of running water (and if anyone has seen my garage, that is no small task. But just in my defense, houses don't have basements in Vegas!), sopping up seeping water and so on. Of course, it was one of the colder days in Vegas (barely in the 40's, and 27 degrees in the early morning), so it wasn't even a sunny and warm day where I could think, "Oh, what the heck, might as well clean out the garage since I sort of have to."

I have been anticipating this day for years. I have wanted to change the water heater at least once a year for the last five years to avoid exactly what happened. But, obviously, we never to the initiative to just spend the $1000.00 or so and pre-emptively change the water heater even though I thought about it many times. I even considered going tankless. After all, I could use the space! :)

Why I am making you suffer through my hot-water-heater-blew-up story is this: look how easily one thing can change so much. And yes, I'm going to equate to writing. Sometimes I know where the story line is going, but not quite sure how it is getting there. Or maybe it's already gotten there and it seems really boring or blase (that's blah-zay . . . I just don't know how to find the accented E on my computer) but if I change just one thing, it can change the whole direction of the scene or even story line. But if I use that one thing as a catalyst, BAM! suddenly everything's changed or just got the kick it needed. It's kind of exciting. At least more exciting than having water running out of my garage! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment