Wednesday, August 8, 2012

About me. Takers? Anyone?

I have been busy doing homework.  But, that's okay because it is good homework.  It's paperwork for getting the book published.  Crazy enough, the thing that has been the hardest is writing my bio.  I am supposed to come up with something other than where I was born, where I live now and that I have four kids.  I am supposed to write something that would catch the readers attention and make them want to read my book.  It was easier for me to write a 300 page book than it has been for me to come up with a one paragraph bio for the back of the book.  Seriously! 

My attempts have been fraught, yes fraught, with self-doubt.  I find myself funny, but am I really?  Will I just sound like a weirdo if I say I have an over-active imagination that sometimes gets me in trouble?  I'm not imagining naughty things, or people talking to me that aren't really there.  It is purely an innocent, active imagination.  Like the kind that makes it possible to write a book.  Will readers understand the joke when I say I live in Las Vegas but not in a hotel?  Am I not the only one who had a hard time believing people actually live in Las Vegas, and not just vacation there?  It would be nice to live in a hotel since room service and maids would make my life much easier.

So I keep writing and rewriting drafts about me.  I haven't gotten any more interesting.  So I came up with a plan.  Like maybe one of you would like to write my bio.  Anyone?  Anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I probably couldn't write your bio, unless a made up lots of things to fill in the years between YW and ... now, but I know what you are talking about and how nerve-wracking (sp?) it can be to write a bio. But-here is my one, semi-helpful tip: read a few bios of other authors (not jane austen, but you know contemporary ones) and get a feel for what they wrote & how they drew on life experiences. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete