Saturday, September 10, 2011

My loose interpretation of "Schedule"

I have a cute little sign that says, "Welcome to my loose interpretation of clean."  I find it hilarious, because that is my attitude toward housework.  My husband, who prefers to have the house a little cleaner than my "loose interpretation", does not find the sign so funny.  In fact, I think he secretly tries to hide it when I'm not around.  But, with that said, I want to clarify that I am not a total slacker living in complete filth.  The dishes get done, the laundry gets washed, the floors get vacuumed, I'm just not obsessed with getting it done.  (In fact, as I write, I'm in my bedroom blogging instead of being out in the living room spearheading the Saturday morning clean up!  :)  )

I am the same way about being scheduled.  I am not one of those people that have their whole day scheduled.  I have some friends that are that scheduled.  And bless their hearts, because I could not keep up their pace.  It stresses me out just hearing about their busy schedule.  My schedule revolves around my kids going to school.  I'm glad that it has started and it gives us just enough structure to our days.  But this year, the school district mixed things up by changing the school starting times and it has completely screwed me up and after two weeks of school, I have yet to adjust to this new schedule.

Last year, Emmett went to middle school from 8 am-2:30 pm.  He was picked up by our carpool in the morning, so getting him off to school mainly consisted of making sure he did not walk out the front door with a milk mustache. 

The girls went to elementary school from 9 am - 3:30 pm.  So I had time to shower in the morning before I took them to school.  Because I actually had to get out of my car and be seen, getting ready for the day usually needed to get done.  Since I always have a bad case of bed head, it sort of made showering a priority.  I wasn't anxious to share my bed head with the whole school. 

But now the school district has mixed up the schedule.  The girls need to be to school by 7:50 and Emmett needs to be to school by 9:00.  So now, I have to be ready to get the girls out the door by 7:30 to get them to school and Eve to the Kindergarten yard.  Then I feel the need to stay with Eve until the bell rings, because she just seems so young and little to just leave in the school yard (even though there are other kids there).  Then I get home, and have a half hour before Emmett needs to go to school.  I'm driving the morning part of the carpool instead of the afternoon, so when I get home from dropping kids off at 9:00, I have until 10:30 before I need to go pick Eve up from school.

This has completely screwed me up.  So even though I am not a tighly-scheduled person, my loose interpretation of a schedule like the one I had last year has been completely messed up by the school schedules. 

But enough whining and complaining.  At least the kids are back in school and the long, hot summer is over, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment